Sunday, April 05, 2009

Test Batch

Small Double-Crust Apple Pie

Following the trans-fat free margarine I posted about the other day, I finally got trans-fat free shortening, too! :D Now I have enough stuff to replace butter with and I can enjoy cooking/baking with MUCH less concern about cholesterol and trans fat! (But I'm not giving up butter completely. I think butter flavor is crucial for some sweets ...)

Organic Trans Fat Free Shortening by Daabon

Yes. This stuff IS expensive. But it has a long shelf life and it doesn't have to be kept in the fridge (which means it is not going to take up much space in my fridge), so I don't mind paying nearly JPY 1,000 for this amount (680 g).

For this test batch, I used this pie crust recipe. And it turned out perfect! I was like, "Yes! This is the light and flaky pie crust I have been dreaming of!" Next time I'm definitely going to use my bigger pie plate.

And this is another thing I ordered at the same online shopping site: malt flour.


They say this is pure malt flour with no additives, and that's the reason why I ordered this product. So, there'll be a test batch of french bread with malt flour added, and also a test batch of something else, too... ;)


Categories:

4 comments:

K and S said...

looks great!

Fiona said...

Yay for the pretty design on your pie. <3 That's so awesome! ^_^

And yay for getting the ingredients you wanted. : )

obachan said...

K & S
You really think so? Thanks. I was a bit worried that someone might see a face with a flat nose. LOL

Fiona
So glad to hear that. Thank you. :)

cell said...

the pie looks beautiful